Clunking Onward
—Kathleen Fraser
Are you ready to move this in a new
direction? I am. More absurdity, less
anxiety, and no boredom. So what scares
me? Fear of death. Fear of being alone.
An extrovert who has been ravaged by
a decade-long case of agoraphobia.
After how many days and nights? Am I
cognizant of how disturbing—how scary—
that what I leave behind, having accrued a
few things since less than a decade ago losing
all that up to that point I had, the ephemera,
The fear of ending in tragedy.
Realizing that, oh hell, if I were to
bite the dust, to shuffle off this
mortal coil as I slept or (scarier still)
just as I began to go through the con
flicting process of waking up; if the spasms
began to erupt, those ripples that lure who
began to erupt, those ripples that lure who
ever I am in dream-state, giddily and dizzily,
back toward a simpler awareness, to an
awakened state, if this time nothing
manages to entice me, so that instead
I lie here with my eyes closed until I have
gone cold. Who’d find what was left? It’d
be nobody I know, that much is certain.
After how many days and nights? Am I
cognizant of how disturbing—how scary—
that what I leave behind, having accrued a
few things since less than a decade ago losing
all that up to that point I had, the ephemera,
only to replace the lot with these few pieces of
furniture and a dozen or so reams that, individually
and in summation, are but a heap—garbage—like
the inevitable carcass that was once me would be, at
least to whomever would arrive to take it all away,
to dispense with me and my detritus. Who would
understand what each of these relics had meant
to me? Who’ll consider the bias I had for each
piece of this mess? No one. It’ll be someone who
arrives and makes a dispassionate, democratic
list, more than likely (surely there’s nothing here
of any significant cash value).... // Yuck. Damn.
list, more than likely (surely there’s nothing here
of any significant cash value).... // Yuck. Damn.
Rather than find my way toward fresh perspective,
I’ve trailed off rather morbidly, haven’t I? At the
outset, I thought I’d work my way humorously
through the horrors of my greatest fears. But
how bland I’ve been lately. Perhaps I’ll put
this down, switch on the television, like I did
around this time yesterday to watch the Emmys
(in which newcomers and personal faves Pluribus
and Widow’s Bay all but swept). How might I
diminish my fears with laughter or pleasant
thoughts? To relax the tension between aspiration
and reality, to redesign goals so that, should I tap
into an as-yet-unfound pocket of energy, I can
meet them and move forward, ever forward,
while this life yet remains spirited. Here I am!
outset, I thought I’d work my way humorously
through the horrors of my greatest fears. But
how bland I’ve been lately. Perhaps I’ll put
this down, switch on the television, like I did
around this time yesterday to watch the Emmys
(in which newcomers and personal faves Pluribus
and Widow’s Bay all but swept). How might I
diminish my fears with laughter or pleasant
thoughts? To relax the tension between aspiration
and reality, to redesign goals so that, should I tap
into an as-yet-unfound pocket of energy, I can
meet them and move forward, ever forward,
while this life yet remains spirited. Here I am!