It’s early morning on the 16th of the month.
I just drank the last drops from what had been
a two liter bottle of Diet Dr Pepper. What was
left filled one of my medium sized sea green
colored plastic cups (I have two of them; did I
start out with three, four?). I’ve no money left
for the month and won’t get my tiny subsidy
check until the first. I could lean my head
back upon my pillow right now, unable to
sleep, but to meditate on existence with
no income. I could let those thoughts
(that thoughtlessness) overwhelm me
with anger or into resignation, or I
could instead close my eyes and
use my mind to move time, to
either make it go faster, or to
back upon my pillow right now, unable to
sleep, but to meditate on existence with
no income. I could let those thoughts
(that thoughtlessness) overwhelm me
with anger or into resignation, or I
could instead close my eyes and
use my mind to move time, to
either make it go faster, or to
slow it down, feeling my body,
feel it inflate until I resemble
a gigantic parade balloon in
the faded image of a cartoon
character from my childhood,
expanding easily to squeeze
myself into the moment until
I’ve pushed time out through
the fringes; or I might carry
the moment along with me,
and then speed ahead of it.
These are methods of existence
I have developed in order to weave
in and out of time’s typical cadence,
a timelessness within which I might
sway in relative peace. Until I begin
to remember that no matter how much
I bend or fold it in order to exist outside
of its realm, usually in an effort to cope
with my diminishing value, inside of my
skin-sack of nothingness, I will still continue
to age, to grow older. These tricks are of the
mind, are mere delusion; the peace that makes its
way into the dim crevasses within my head is but the
airy entropy that I am always becoming. I’ll fight again
mind, are mere delusion; the peace that makes its
way into the dim crevasses within my head is but the
airy entropy that I am always becoming. I’ll fight again
to lift my lids, to squeeze my way back out of this stasis,
all the while a polluted airiness hisses its way out of
all the while a polluted airiness hisses its way out of
my nose, my ears, eyes and mouth, the gassy stuff
of me. Until I am unrecognizable, opaque,
impossible to lean into or upon. No
impossible to lean into or upon. No
substance. Until I am a nearly
indiscernible whistle. And soon
I will be nothing but gone.
