But go we didn’t.
Not that I can
recall at the
moment, at
any rate. But
here they are
those three words,
an exclamation point.
It must have been
at least six months
ago that I wrote
it in the margin
on the first page
of this blue note
book (Fabrinio,
it says, made in
Italy). It would
not have been
more than ten
years ago. I
say I write to
remember, and
this is true. But
no matter how
much I scrunch
up my eyes in
an attempt to
recall when it
was I scrawled
those words,
and where it
was we were
going, I am
drawing a
blank. But
it’s a hopeful,
generally opt
imistic phrase,
unless we were
about to take
off in a roller
coaster? It’s
a half hour
to midnight.
Sleep will
come soon.
And I’ve no
quarrel with
myself over
reusing the
phrase. As
a bit of en
couragement,
a bon voyage,
say, as we em
bark toward
the land of
dreams. And
beyond. I
do hope it’s
an exclamation point.
It must have been
at least six months
ago that I wrote
it in the margin
on the first page
of this blue note
book (Fabrinio,
it says, made in
Italy). It would
not have been
more than ten
years ago. I
say I write to
remember, and
this is true. But
no matter how
much I scrunch
up my eyes in
an attempt to
recall when it
was I scrawled
those words,
and where it
was we were
going, I am
drawing a
blank. But
it’s a hopeful,
generally opt
imistic phrase,
unless we were
about to take
off in a roller
coaster? It’s
a half hour
to midnight.
Sleep will
come soon.
And I’ve no
quarrel with
myself over
reusing the
phrase. As
a bit of en
couragement,
a bon voyage,
say, as we em
bark toward
the land of
dreams. And
beyond. I
do hope it’s
smooth sail
ing all the
way. Here
we go!
